Nick Waplington: Living Room

17:33


Whilst looking for images similar to Corinne Day's Diary I found the work of Nick Waplington, who took photographs of two families for five years whilst living on Broxtowe housing estate in Nottingham while he was studying photography at what is now Nottingham Trent University.  
The aim of this project was to shoot a microcosm of life in a room, which showed honestly, and without bias, how they lived.
I like the colour tones of these images, the warm tones and the high grain. I discovered that Waplington was influenced by the colour work of Paul Graham, Martin Parr and Tom Woods. He wanted to create a similar aesthetic in his images. He considered their work to be too anthropological, and preferred a style which was less structured and a lot more 'real'.
He used a range finder camera which didn't make a shutter noise so the process was less intrusive, which is something I wanted to have in my images, the presence of a small disposable or film camera is much less intimidating than a large DSLR. 

Its my aim to present my images in a similar fashion; as unbiased images which capture snapshots of parts of my life. I plan to look into the work which has influenced Waplington as they will also have influenced me in an indirect way. 





This image is my personal favourite out of the series. I like the interaction between father and daughter and how genuine the image feels. The warm tones of the images immediately give a safe presence to them and draw you into the photograph. It appears to be a true snapshot, capturing an exact moment in time which cannot be recreated, and will never happen again, an aspect of it which I really like, as the idea of capturing moments and having memories of them as they are personal to me and creating something I can look back on, really appeals to me.



I like that Waplington includes himself in some of his images, here his feet are part of the shot in the bottom right. This is something which I want to experiment with as it shows how much of an insider he truly is and displays his extremely close relationship with his subjects.



Information from http://www.bjp-online.com/2015/04/nick-waplington-video-photography-alexander-mcqueen/ 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts