Tom Woods

11:17



Tom Woods is one of Nick Waplington’s primary influences in terms of the aesthetic his images posses. Woods' images  have a lot of contrast and picture social gatherings and snapshots of people in social environments enjoying themselves. 
Flash has been used throughout the series, which gives is a similar aesthetic which I wish to achieve, separating the foreground from the back. 
Tom Woods is a street photographer and documents people who he has no relationship with; they are simply subjects to his photographs. Nick Waplington said he found Wood’s work too anthropological, which I agree with; I would rather photograph people who I have a relationship with and produce images which I can relate to and have a personal stake within them due to this factor. 

I find Tom Woods' images very busy, and I want my own narrative to be much more considered, and have a slower, more relaxed pace and feel, which this series doesn't have; the frame is filled almost entirely with subject matter, and there is a lot happening, the first image is almost overwhelming and makes the viewer feel as though they are there; the jagged lighting captured above the subjects heads draw the eyes and push the atmosphere of the location, a busy club, onto the viewer. 






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts