Prep for my first Still Life shoot

15:20

In preparation for my first still life shoot on Monday, today I went out and purchased lots of different coloured card which I can use as backgrounds and incorporate in my still life compositions. I think its important to know exactly what I plan to do when I have my studio time so that I do not waste any time whilst in the studio trying compositions and colour combinations which wouldn't work well aesthetically.
I then gathered the props which I planned to shoot and arranged them in ways which were simple and made use of colour and composition to create an aesthetically pleasing image.
From my experiments I realised I needed to source more subjects for images and made a list of things to find/purchase over the weekend.
Through out this process I was constantly referring back to mood boards I had created for inspiration and the images I had submitted for my project proposal last week to try and achieve a similar look.
I took photos of compositions I liked on my phone so I can refer back to these when preparing for the shoot Monday so I remember to bring all the props and accessories I require and also when in the studio so I have a reminder of successful ideas which I can shoot with ease. I plan to shoot as many different props as I can at this stage to see what I prefer and what works well, and to keep the lighting very similar in all my images so that they all are consistent and have a common factor.

These are the images I took on my phone so I will have an idea of composition, what props to use, and colour combinations which work nicely.




Before shooting the image below I drew out a rough idea of how I wanted it to look. This process from idea, to test, and then to shoot is good practice of developing and improving ideas even before I shoot in the studio for the first time.








After experimenting with Smarties and Marshmellows, I like the idea of colour matching an iced doughnut with my background. I drew this rough idea and plan to have a pink iced doughnut on a pink background.





After shooting this test I felt it was a little bare so I plan to add some greenery to the image on monday, as I have drawn below.








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts