Mike Brodie: A Period of Juvenile Prosperity

20:44


Mike Brodie's A Period of Juvenile Prosperity was born when, in 2003 Brodie got on the wrong train by accident and ended up hundreds of miles away from home at age 18. Along with a Polaroid SX-70 camera, Brodie begun to document his journey and the people he met along the way. He later switched to an old 1980's 35mm camera and documented hobos, fellow travellers and runaways whilst clocking up around 50,000 miles of unticketed travel. 

The images in the series are raw and beautiful, and I love the amateur feel that they have to them, resulting from the fact that Brodie is a self taught photographer with no formal training in the subject.
To keep in touch with people he met on his journeys and photographed, Brodie uploaded the images to the internet, and was nick named 'The Polaroid kid'. 

I really love his subject matter as its very intimate and shows a side of travel which we don't see very often. The Amateur feel that his images possess really appeals to me as something I would like to recreate within my own narrative. 
The structure and layout of his book was also very simple, layout and how I want my photobook to look is something which I need to start considering; images included in A Period of Jevenile Prosperity have no captions or writing around them, just blank space, and some spreads have an image on each page, whereas some have just one, on either the left or the right, which I found interesting as I expected all lone images to be on the right hand page. Creative decisions like those will be very important in the process of making my book.







At the end of the book, Brodie writes:

I don’t want to be famous, but I hope this book is remembered forever”.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/photography/10071614/A-Period-of-Juvenile-Prosperity-by-Mike-Brodie-review.html 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts