Revisiting BA1b research

13:21


Since I plan to produce work similar to that which I created for my exploration and investigation brief last year I am already familiar with some practitioners which relate to the portrait and still life aspects of my current work. Below are my favourite images from my research last year.

Ruth Allen

Ruth Rose for Accessorize SS16 campaign. 

Ruth Rose for Solstice magazine 

           

For a shoot with 'The Fox Sisters' for Tartarus Magazine, the BTS video really caught my eye as an angle I could take for  my 30 second moving image piece which accompanies my work. It has a mix of behind the scenes and also the models working which I really liked, seeing the fluid motion between poses. 
Ruth's work as a whole is always really fun and playful, yet always considered and incredibly thought out. A quote from Allen which still stands out to me about her she describes practice; 
"Intertwining natural, documentary-style photography with some posed shots to give a perfect combination of photography. My unobtrusive, reportage approach allows me to capture real moments and relationships. Additionally, I bring my own expertise as a celebrity, fashion photographer to produce some posed, staged images that have the feel and quality of a fashion magazine."

Ruth's typical kit is a Canon 5D mrkII and a 50mm or 70mm prime lens.


ALDO SS16 Campaign 


This is a campaign which is another good example of how I can link still life and portraiture. Both images are consistent in terms  of lighting, and a bold colour palette. I really like how the still life has been built into a sculpture, making it much more interesting that the still lives I have produced previously. I plan to shoot my first still life of the project later this week and am really keen to experiment with something out of my comfort zone. 

Agnes Lloyd Platt 



Agnes Lloyd Platt's work is always first to pop into my head when I think of pretty pastels and mixing portraiture with still life. The first image is something I can experiment with early on as I am keen to introduce a model into my still lives, but I am unsure how simplistic I want them to be; I love the minimalistic look and think it really works with aesthetic, but I am unsure how far I want to take it at this moment in time. 



Jacob Reischel 


Marie Jacob and Julia Strathmann's work is a very good example of photographing not just a product, but creating and building small sets around them to form a stage for the product which work together in harmony. Their work also makes me realise that I cannot do this alone and that collaboration and having the addition of someone else's vision would be really helpful. I plan to work with a graphics student with my still lives to increase my production value and benefit the overall outcome. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts