Understanding Narrative in a fashion editorial

12:09


At the beginning of this brief I knew I wanted to shoot a form of fashion editorial, but I was unsure of the extent an editorial can be considered a narrative; whether it was possible for a studio shot editorial to be of a narrative nature as there wouldn't be much of a setting or location to carry the story and for a story to progress.

I turned to google and spent ages looking for examples as nothing coming up was quite explaining it in a way I understood or could relate to.

I stumbled across Grant Scott, a senior lecturer of photography at the university of Gloucestershire, and this article titled 'That's not a fashion photograph'. I found it incredible helpful in eliminating any brain fog I had surrounding the purpose of fashion imagery, and explained to me that a narrative can be as simple as all images in a series were about a jumper, and therefore this is a narrative about said jumper. 

This stood out to me most from the article:



"A fashion narrative may be constructed by a particular color or combination of colors, a type of clothing, a fabric, an attitude or an aesthetic, a lifestyle or an activity—in fact the fashion narrative has no boundaries. However, it will always be about the clothes. In rare cases, the narrative is about the model, but in most cases, she or he is there to show the clothes to their best effect and to play the role the narrative dictates."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts