Lighting Test

14:17



Today I also shot a lighting test for another image for my D&AD series, this time based on a swimmer. I was influenced by Diego Lorenzo Jose, a Manila-based photographer I discovered on Bēhance, an online media platform for creative practitioners. He had a series of athletic portraits which were similar in style to ones I had perviously shot, and this particular one stood out to me as something I wanted to shoot. At first I had wanted to shoot on location, however to tie my three images together better I have decided to shoot all three in the studio, which works really well. 

By Diego Lorenzo Jose, the image which this shoot is influenced by.






Here I added a large softbox flash above my models head, as shown below, despite trying to move it further away it was still lighting up my models face too brightly than I had wanted.




For this shot I increased power of the two lights to the side of the models face, to see what the effect of this was. I preferred this but still wanted the front of the models face to be lit better. 



Here I had my assistant stand behind my model, as I wanted the top of the swimming hat to be lit so that it stands out from the background rather than blends in. This backlit my model however it highlighted any strands of hair that were escaping from the hat. To avoid this I need to make sure any stray hairs are tucked into the hat and pinned back out of sight when shooting again. The set up is drawn below. 





In this shot I positioned a softbox high above my model behind, to see if this would light the back of the swimming hat. I also experimented with spraying water on the hat to see how this was lit up also. 
I really liked how the top of the hat is lit in this image and will replicate a similar set up, and then experiment with lighting the front of the face also. 



I really liked how the individual water droplets were lit in this image. I cropped the above full frame image to get a closer look. I would prefer if it was in focus better so that each droplet is highlighted more. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts