Richard Billingham: Ray's a Laugh Part 2

21:26


During my one to one with Richard today he asked how I planned to fit my narrative together as one coherent photobook. After our seminar yesterday morning with Juneko I was already beginning to consider what images I should use and in what order as this decision will either make or break my photobook. He urged me to look further into Richard Billingham than I already had done, specifically the actual photobook 'Ray's a Laugh' as the narrative and structure is very considered and interesting.

Amongst all the chaos of the images of his alcoholic father and his mother, are images of birds and landscapes. This was very surprising to me however it related back to what Juneko had mentioned yesterday, about how these pauses in-between sequences are so unexpected, they force the reader to stop, and gives them a moment to reflect and question why there is something so different imbedded within the other images.

I have debated whether Billingham shoots his images from the position of an insider or an outsider, and this discovery of the additional photographs has made my decision more informed. They give way into the head space of Billingham and how he escapes from his parents and the flat they live in, taking landscapes and nature photographs, which I know is what he then went on to shoot more of and include in his photobook; Landscapes 2001-2003. His position as an outsider in his own family home is very shocking and shows that the content of the book is not to be taken lightly.

I really love the addition of these images and can't understand why they don't come up on a google image search of the books title, as if they aren't as important as the other surrounding photographs.
These shots create a juxtaposition which intensifies the chaotic nature of the images surrounding them, they are so peaceful and this calm, graceful presence of them is a shocking, stark contrast.
The effect this has on a reader is very interesting and I want to experiment how to generate a similar effect through my photobook, using a similar technique.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts