First Shoot

16:29


Today I experimented in the studio for my first portrait shoot for the new brief. When creating my work last year I had used a piece of A2 card for the background and used ambient light, shooting at home rather than in the studio. This limited the space I could use without the model going off the edge of the available background and the distance between the model and the card behind her for the same reason. This close proximity caused unwanted shadows and was difficult to work in. Although I did produce some really good results I felt limited and was after an alternative.
This year I chose to experiment with gels. This is something I had only previously done in workshops and didn't feel very confident doing, I was unsure about how I could achieve the colours I wanted and weather I would be able to do it at all, but I persevered and for a first attempt, was very pleased with the results.

My set up was as follows:






Above circled I experimented with some still life which I plan to carry on with next week, I didn't like the blue on blue so I plan to use complementary colours rather than matching colours.



The top three images circled were showed me how easy it is to miss something when you aren't thorough and miss something and how much it can cost you. I had used a clip for adjusting the fit of my models clothing, however I didn't remove it when changing position, and it can clearly be seen in the shots, no one picked up on it until looking at them back on the computer. This was really frustrating and reminded me to always make sure I assess the whole shot before shooting. 
Second circled is a lighting test, its easy to have an assistant to stand in for a model whilst they were both changing so I can adjust the light to make sure I am still happy with it without wasting more time. 




I really struggled with the lighting and the speed in which I was shooting meant that the lighting was lacking consistency even though the set up was identical which was really frustrating, and I will need practice to perfect my use of gels.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts