Thomas Ruff

20:24


When creating my diversity portraits I am taking a more documentary approach towards my image making. I looked at the work of Thomas Ruff and his typological portraits. He studied at the renowned Düsseldorf Art Academy working under Bernd and Hilla Becher. 

I really like the bottom two and the top right image, the top left is quite muted and doesn't reflect my own style as much. The passport style images emphasise same-ness, however this isn't what I want my images to suggest as the purpose of my images is to promote and document diversity. I am not worried that my images will do the opposite of my intentions as they will not be in a typology, which by nature unifies and equalises people together.
The composition of Ruff's work is something which I want to reference in my own work.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts